Mass Attacks in Public Spaces – 2018
"FYI – In response to the acts of targeted violence occurring in this Nation, the U.S. Secret Service National Threat Assessment Center (NTAC) has published this research report titled, Mass Attacks in Public Spaces – 2018. The study was conducted for the specific purpose of identifying key information that will enhance efforts to prevent these types of attacks.
Regardless of whether these attacks were acts of workplace violence, domestic violence, school-based violence, or inspired by an ideology, similar themes were observed in the behaviors and circumstances of the perpetrators, including:
· Most of the attackers utilized firearms, and half departed the site on their own or committed suicide.
· Half were motivated by a grievance related to a domestic situation, workplace, or other personal issue.
· Two-thirds had histories of mental health symptoms, including depressive, suicidal, and psychotic symptoms.
· Nearly all had at least one significant stressor within the last five years, and over half had indications of financial instability in that timeframe.
· Nearly all made threatening or concerning communications and more than three-quarters elicited concern from others prior to carrying out their attacks.
Thank you for participating in the Voluntary Protection Program."