July 2020 CCPS Process Safety Beacon (Process interruptions: a threat to process safety)
"Did You Know?
• Some chemicals, especially when heated, can decompose, creating more heat and even exploding.
• Chemical reactions may continue at a slower rate below the usual reaction temperature and reach decomposition conditions given enough time.
• Chemical reactions can take place where they are not expected – like distillation columns or storage tanks.
• During shutdowns there may be distractions; crews may be performing different tasks or be working in different areas.
• Procedures may lack detail for nonstandard operations like temporarily idling or shutting down with materials still in the process."